Dr. Dirk Rodriguez is now offering the new gastric balloon weight loss surgery in Dallas, TX. Designed to be a temporary weight loss tool, the gastric balloon is a simple, non-surgical procedure that usually allows you to go home the very same day.
How does gastric balloon surgery work?
The gastric balloon is a weight loss device that is placed in your your stomach, leaving less room for food. This will help you feel full more quickly when you are eating. The new and improved intragastric balloon is made of advanced, safe and durable materials.
The balloon will stay in your stomach for six months, causing you to eat less and giving you the edge you need to finally lose weight. After six months, the balloon is deflated and easily removed.
3 steps of the gastric balloon procedure
The gastric balloon procedure happens in three main steps: placement, journey and removal.
Step 1: Placement
- After you’re given a mild sedative, Dr. Dirk will insert the deflated balloon through your mouth and into your stomach using a tool called an endoscope.
- The balloon will then be filled with a safe salt-water solution until it’s about the size of a grapefruit.
- The entire procedure usually only takes 20 or 30 minutes and most people go home the same day.
Step 2: Journey
- The balloon stays in place for six months. This period is where you might see the most drastic weight loss.
- With the gastric balloon in place, Dr. Dirk will provide you with diet and exercise coaching.
- During this phase, your goal is to develop healthy habits that will carry you forward in your weight loss journey after the balloon is removed.
Step 3: Removal
- Just like during placement, the balloon is removed through a quick, non-surgical procedure.
- During the next six months, you’ll keep losing weight by continuing your coaching.
- When your yearlong program is over, you will have learned healthy habits that will help you continue to lose weight and keep it off.
Who is gastric balloon surgery for?
The gastric balloon is often used in patients who must lose weight to qualify for bariatric surgery, or people with a BMI between 30 and 40. But because it’s not a risky procedure, the balloon may be helpful for an even larger group of people.
“Truly anyone who is struggling with their weight can have it,” says Dr. Dirk. “As long as they understand that it is a tool to help them change their life in regards to nutrition and exercise. Unlike metabolic operations such as the sleeve, gastric bypass or duodenal switch, the balloon does not change the hormones that speed up metabolism and increase weight loss,” Dr. Dirk explains.
Looking to lose weight and wondering if the gastric balloon is the right choice for you? Contact bariatric surgeon Dr. Dirk Rodriguez today to schedule a consultation and learn more about this convenient, non-surgical weight loss procedure.