Dallas Duodenal Switch Surgery
The Duodenal Switch procedure is a form of bariatric surgery that involves a reconfiguring of the intestinal tract. During the procedure, approximately 70% of the stomach is removed in order to limit the amount of potential food intake. Combined with a rerouting of the small intestine, the Dallas duodenal switch procedure is effective in increasing metabolism and reducing cravings.
Following the Dallas duodenal switch procedure, as with most forms of weight loss surgery, the patient requires a strict regimen of nutritional supplements. Failure to do so may quickly result in vitamin deficiencies.
Bariatric surgery is not for everyone and the complicated nature of the duodenal switch limits potential candidates because of mitigating health factors. While the effectiveness of surgery varies on a case by case situation, the goal of the duodenal switch can help patients lose 80% of excess body weight within a year.
In addition to helping a patient lose weight, the duodenal switch surgery is effective in lowering blood pressure, reducing cholesterol and limiting the complications of sleep apnea, acid reflux and diabetes.
Duodenal Switch FAQ’s
Who the Duodenal Switch Surgery works best for:
- Body Mass Index (BMI) > 50.
- Severe Diabetes (type 1 or Type 2) on multiple medications.
- Failed Gastric Bypass, Sleeve or Lap-Band surgery.
- Return of Diabetes or other conditions with weight regain after obesity surgery.
- High blood pressure, high cholesterol & triglycerides, sleep apnea, acid reflux.
Who should not have the Duodenal Switch?
- Patients with high risk medical conditions (medical conditions that need daily steroids called prednisone or immune suppressing medicines), congestive heart failure, chronic kidney disease, kidney failure or dialysis, atrial fibrillation, pacemaker, history of stroke, history of blood clots, severe leg swelling, severe lung disease or needing daily oxygen.
- Patients with inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn’s disease, Ulcerative Colitis)
- Prior surgery to remove small bowel or large bowel (colon).
- Previous open belly surgery open gallbladder surgery, open total hysterectomies, open colon operations, any major open belly surgery, hernia surgery with plastic mesh.
What can you expect from the Duodenal Switch Surgery:
- Lose 80% of excess body weight.
- Lose diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, acid reflux and sleep apnea.
- Lose regained weight or medical conditions from failed previous weight loss operations
What is your life like after the Duodenal Switch?:
- You will practice good nutrition and must take vitamin supplements.
- High protein, low carbohydrate, small frequent meals.
- Multi-vitamins & vitamin supplements are a must. The Switch can interfere with the uptake of vitamins A, D, E & K (fat soluble vitamins). There are no problems when patients practice good nutrition and take their vitamins every day.
How can I make sure that everything is OK after surgery?:
- Duodenal Switch patients come back every month after surgery for 1 year after the surgery.
- Blood tests might be needed to check to make sure everything is working well.
- Take all of your vitamins and supplements.
- Practice god nutrition.
What problems can there be with the Duodenal Switch?:
- Malnutrition -affects any obesity surgery patient who abandons good nutrition.
- Diarrhea this comes about when patients get away from good nutrition. Patients who start eating high carbohydrate food, junk food, fast food, diarrhea is a problem.
- Smelly bowel movements again related to poor nutrition.
- Frequent bowel movements this slows down pretty quickly. In the beginning using fiber supplements help. After 1 year most patients experience 2-4 formed movements a day.
- Internal scar tissue or internal hernia can happen after any surgery, but happens less with laparoscopic surgery
- Leak this is a possibility with any weight loss surgery. This happens less than 1% of the operations. If a leak happens, repeat surgery and hospitalization might be needed.
*Individual weight loss results may vary.